Sunday, January 10, 2010

Need advice about spouse quitting smoking?

Recently, our toddler started pretending she was smoking a cigarette (with a lollipop stick). My wife smokes, but does not do it in front of the children.





However, they're smart. They know she has a weird smell sometimes (cigarette smoke). How should I approach my wife on quitting without sounding preachy or like a jerk? She's smoked over ten years now, so I know it will be hard.





Additional information: I used to be a smoker as well, years ago before marriage and children. I quit and know how difficult it is. I also know it's something a person will only do if they want to.





Thus, maybe it's not my place to say anything. I just want to (1) make sure my wife is around for all of us, and (2) not setting a bad example for our children, even though she is being very cautious in not doing it in front of them.





Any advice?Need advice about spouse quitting smoking?
Don't preach or demand. Just offer love and support. It really is the best approach.





Ask her if she has given any thought to quitting and let her talk first about how she feels, what she thinks. Encourage her to talk about her fears - withdrawal, weight gain...whatever they are. Take them seriously. Let her know that you are there to support her in every way you can. Tell her that you love her and treasure her health.





You know it isn't easy and you know it has to be her choice. And don't worry about the kids so much. Nonsmokers raise children who smoke and smokers raise children who don't. I raised 4 as a smoker and not one of them smokes. They all tried it as kids will do but I took the time and patience to explain that it is a prison they don't want to live in. They believed me, God bless them!Need advice about spouse quitting smoking?
First, YOU'RE HER HUSBAND and it is in your place to say something. Voice your opinion, I'm sure she'll listen to you or at least think about what you tell her. Second, i think you answered your own question. Tell her you want her around and tell her that your toddler is emulating her by pretending to smoke. I wouldn't worry about the second part though, I used to pretend I smoked when I was a child because I thought it looked tough but I never really took on smoking as an adult.
If you wanted a spouse that didn't smoke, why didn't you marry one? You shouldn't marry a smoker, then all of a sudden demand that she change for you. The world don't operate that way.
I agree with ProudMom - don't marry a smoker and then complain about her smoking. Just tell her what you saw, and leave it at that.
  • blushed
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment