Sunday, January 10, 2010

I'm a military spouse, 2000 miles away from home and need advice?

I'm very family oriented and grew up in a big family. I grew up in a small town and stayed pretty close to home even when i moved out. I married my husband who was in the military and knew somewhat what this kind of life would entail. Now though we got stationed at Fort Bliss Texas. All of my family is in Massachusettes. I am finding myself very homesick and lonely. We only have one car so its hard fro me to get out of the house and we dont live on base so its not like I can just walk to the px or something. Also my sons first birthday is tomarrow and my family cant afford to come out for his birthday. I havent made any friends and I just dont know what to do. Its lonely and hard and I need some advice.I'm a military spouse, 2000 miles away from home and need advice?
Get in touch with the other wives of the military men that are around base and just invite them over first. Get to nkow them and find things to do to keep yourself busy. Theya re int he same postiion as you are so they know what your going through and can give you good advice on things. Perhaps you can offer to watch their child for a day or two or certain hours, so they can work or have alone time to do whatever and they return the favor for you to get a parttime job and earn extra cash. The your child will have a playmate, keep you busy, meet other parents and friends and you get to work without paying for a babysitter.I'm a military spouse, 2000 miles away from home and need advice?
I moved from Ohio to GA. And, it was so HARD. I think you need to find a mom's group.....I have been a member of MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) and Mothers and More. MOPS meets during the day and has childcare (usually at a church). Maybe someone in the group would pick you up. Mothers and More meets in the evening so maybe you could go to them with the car.





Making friends is KEY. Mothers and More has playgroups....so maybe you could join one. I have met my best friends thru this group.





Email is a life saver for me.....friends near and far, here and there.





If you are a religious person, look for a church....





I can also highly recommend a phone plan with ';free'; long distance. We have one thru bellsouth (house phone) that is a flat rate for unlimited long distance. I talk to my mom every day -- at least several times. This helps too.





I know this is hard. Just look for EVERY opportunity to find friends.....it will be a life saver!
talk with him and express you problem with him, you seem to be doing all you can and I see that you do realy want this all to work out in the end.





ask him to have another friend and his wife to dinner some night and you may find a friend in her, and most mil. bases have a wifes club where the wifes can go to meet and ';hang out'; together,


if the car is a issue maybe others will have one whom can pick you and your son up and he too will benifet from the club, playing with others his age.


you going in the right direction it just takes time to adjest to this type of living, hang in there and try the club, if there isn't one look into starting one with other wifes, the base CO will be most helpfull with a building to meet in. you will be surprised in how many others are feeling the same way as you do.
Pray. Best answer I can give. How long have you lived where you are now? Homesickness can be pretty hard at first. Also, find a worthy cause and throw yourself into it. Lose yourself in helping others and you will not find your life hard anymore.
I am in the Australian Army so I can relate to your problems as my fiancee has the same issues. We are only 22 yo and my partner is British so the only family she has are halfway across the country and the rest across the world. She has no drivers licence and no qualifications so a job is hard to find for her. Being posted somewhere new is hard work for her as she has no idea what to do and gets depressed quickly. After I decided to intercede with her lack of mobility around the house and stuff, she finially joined a womens group to make friesnds. Now all the women are in their 30's and 40's but that doesn't matter so much its the interaction with other people she needed. After the womens group was charity work at the local shops and other things like nitting class and night courses at the local college. There are many things out there in the community, you just have to look around a bit. Most places cater for women with children and I think you'll find more in common with other people if you just say hi to them. Make an effort with others and put yourself out there, the worst thing you can do is lock yourself up. Good luck
Try to keep in touch with them via email or phone... Maybe move to the base? cheaper housing and you will have a company... Plus maybe you can get a job... that way you won't feel lonely and by yourself all day long
I feel your pain. My husband and I are both MP's and even though I work with fellow MP's... I still feel lonely sometimes. We work opposite schedules and I really don't like a lot of the females I work with. And wouldn't you know it that my family is all the way down in GA, my best friend is in CO, and I am stuck in VA. So....this is what I did.....


I found a church nearby so that I could meet more people and have an outlet for everything else.


I don't know if you are religious or not but try getting involved with a church that is near you. They should have one on post and if that doesn't work for you then find one as close to your house as you can. Maybe if you get involved in a church you could meet some really cool people to hang out with.....especially married couples with new babies. :-) Just an idea.....churches have always been a big help with my whole family as we are all military. Good luck and know that even though it might feel like it, you are not alone. There are tons of us out there.
So, there aren't any buses in your area? (think real hard before you answer this one because I was a military spouse stationed 3,000 miles from my friends and family and managed quite well with only one car). So anyway, you find out where the nearest bus stop is you pay the fare and you and your child go for a ride into town to see what is available. The only reason you ARE homesick and lonely is because you WON'T make the effort to get out. As for not living on base, it would probably be more helpful to you if you did, whether you like what is there or not. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have and make the best of it all in order to be happy, the only one making YOU miserable is YOU.
Hey ill be your long distant friend. this is my first tdy we came from md to colorado kids and mine first tdy and leaving family. all my family is home in md ,hubby hails from Ga. My 3 sons have not found friends yet some school playmates but not doing anything with them outside of school. i to am homesick and lonely. we only have one van, we take him to work then i get boys to school at 8 and 845, i pick them up at 1050 from kindergarden, 230 for 3rd grader and 340 for 8th grader then we drive 25 min to his work and then drive home. hopefully you can meet another military mom like i did she has taken the boys to school a few days for me. i would have a party with your family invite some school friends of your other kids and then either video record it or take pictures to mail back to your family. T G

No comments:

Post a Comment