Friday, January 15, 2010

Muslims, would you advice someone to convert based on a relationship with a spouse?

A friend of mine told me that they are thinking of converting to Islam on account of their relationship with a Muslim person.


I know that , being a Muslim, I should have advised them to do it. However, I advised them not to convert to a different religion based on a relationship with another person.


I asked them not to associate their decision to convert with their love for this person. I told them that it is better to read about Islam and be fully convinced with it before taking such a decision.


Do you think that my advice was right or wrong? I appreciate your comment whether you disagree or whether it is in my favour.


In my defence, I would like to say that I asked this person to do that because I assumed if anything went wrong in the relationship, they wouldn't attribute that to defects in the religion itself. I wouldn't want them to think in the future that Islam is flawed because this person is flawed.


I am waiting for your comments with all due respect.Muslims, would you advice someone to convert based on a relationship with a spouse?
I am Baptist and my husband is Muslim. The issue came up before we got married. My husband asked if I would consider converting and I said No. I explained that my beliefs were instilled in me from the womb and I could never believe otherwise. I explained that I would be so skeptical and apprehensive about converting that it would be more of a problem than an asset. His family knew I was American and Christian and they too had no problem with my religious preference. They basically wanted to know that we would be happy and take care of each other always. We have.


Our issues are not about religion. They lean more towards finances, drive and ambition, credit, and how to start a small business. I go to church and Bible Studies and Sunday School and he attends masjid for prayer. He is devout and recognizes Ramadan every year. We respect each others' preference and if anyone has a problem with it.... call your local Bishop or Imam and get over it.


He did say however if we have children they are to be raised Muslim. I could think of a lot worst things that could happen. We would love that child no matter what he/she decided to do. If I saw a burning bush and Jesus Christ Himself told me to convert.... I wouldn't. We both have our spiritual lives and neither of us would have it any other way...


Your advice was on point. Not everyone tries to convert people. Personally, I couldn't live with myself if I told a person to change for another person. Religion and Spirituality is a very personal experience and one I will always stand on. If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. What will you do?Muslims, would you advice someone to convert based on a relationship with a spouse?
I think you did the right thing because later on if they did not agree with it or something went wrong it would have been wrong
Your advice was correct.





One should not attempt to change one's personal beliefs just to please a spouse. That will just cause the couple to resent each other.
UR ADVICE IS ABSOLUTELY ALRIGHT BUT NOW AT THE SAME TIME THERE IS ONE OTHER DUTY IS ALSO THERE FOR U TO PERFORM AND THAT IS THIS THAT U MUST TELL UR FREND WHAT ISLAM IS.REFFER UR FREND TO VARIOUS BOOKS WHOM U THINK R NOT WRITTEN FOR VARIOUS FRACTIONS BUT FOR ISLAM ALONE.TELL UR FREND TO READ QURAN.IT MAY BE IN TRANSLATION BUT IT IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR UR FREND TO KNOW WHAT IS ISLAM NOT WHAT IS TODAY's MUSLIMS.
You are absolutely correct. Your advice too is correct, and this is how all Muslims must think and sdvise others. This was the way of our Holy prophet and his pure progeny. Your reasons for doing so are also correct. It is true that Islam should be loved and understood purely for the reason of its principles, simplicity and tolerance.





I agree that rather than converting to Islam merely to be with this person is not the way it should be done. Islam recognises marriages between non Muslim women and Muslim Men, so it could be that if your friend is a women she does not have to ever convert if she doesn't want to.





Muslim women however cannot marry non Muslim men for reasons which are beyond this thread and have been mentioned elsewhere in this section.





I hope this helps
Salaam Alaikum





there is no compulsion in religion Islam, we have to deliver the message of truth and the rest is in the hands of Allah to guide or mis guide.


if Allah guides a person then no one can misguide, and if Allah misguides a person then no one can guide.





from your part, you should provide them with all the information available about islam to them, they should know


know about Islam and this will help them in their faith and believe.
I am a Muslim and I would tell them not to convert to Islam to make someone else happy. The only reason someone should convert is because they have convictions of that religion.
I agree with your decision, because the deen will not benefit the person who converts to please a human.
You were right in your advice.......there would be no point to converting if he were doing so to please others and it would create more problems later on
I am a muslim and I will tell you honestly whether others like it or not, no one should and I mean no one should convert to islam FOR someone. That doesnt make you muslim. God knows what is in your heart. When someone says the shahada or testimony of faith, they have to believe what they are saying. If someone is by chance forced they are not muslim. No one can change what is in your heart. I would advise your friend to study Islam first just to understand what this other person's faith is, and then if they believed it to be true then become muslim.





What you said to your friend was right.





Good luck.
I agree with your advice. I am a Muslim revert and before I reverted to Islam in the beginning I was planning to do it b/c of a relationship with a Muslim. We are married now, and AlHumduallah I was guided in the right direction. I was lucky because my husband many times told me to not revert to Islam if he was the only reason. At the time I was a Christian, but was not raised with much religion and had always felt quite lost. I began to read a lot about Islam and I began to feel this confusion disappear. My husband was patient and loved me regardless.





In addition to the advice you gave your friend, it would be excellent if you also provided them with information, literature, video ... basically any form of information of Islam. Let them know that you are there for them if they have any questions. Learning about Islam is a blessing, and they should know that they can take their time, that there is no hurry and to follow their hearts. We can only act as a guide for those who seek our guidance, the rest is in Allah's hands.





Insha'allah this advice helped a little, and may Allah bless you and your friend.
what if this person whom he/she loves died.would he still thinking of Islam.


i think he/she should think of the religion away from everyone else,because Islam is a complete way of life and who wants to convert to it ,should learn what he has to do under the rules of islam.it is not just saying shahada without obeying the teachings of god.

No comments:

Post a Comment