Sunday, January 10, 2010

Advice when spouse refuses to deal with family, both sides?

When I got married I had no idea how much my husband hated dealing with his family. His dad lived in town, and we went and saw him about once a week, his mom lived out of state and we saw her a few times before we were married. We even went together and saw his elderly grandmother every few weeks. After we married (five years ago) he suddenly quit talking to them, and insisted that I take care of all the ';social/public relations';.





This was fine at first because I figured it was what most wives do, however, it's becoming a major problem. He doesn't want to be bothered even signing his name to birthday cards, or returning calls. While I know growing up my mom bought the cards that were sent out (birthday, Christmas, get well etc.), my dad would alt least sign them. But my husband wont. He will go literally months without talking to his side of the family. For example until two days ago it had been since Christmas since he had seen or talked to his dad, and he lives twenty minutes away. It's only through me that he has any type of a connection to them. Nor does he like mine either.





I feel awkward when they (his mom, dad or brothers, or even my family) call and talk to me, they always ask about him. Sometimes they'll even ask that I have him call them back, and he just doesn't do it. They never had a fight or anything, it's just he can't seem to be ';bothered'; with dealing with them. Is this more common than I think? How can I get this to change or will it not? Also, on special days (birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day etc), I usually call his parents but feel uncomfortable because I feel like he should. Should I continue to call them on these days or not? I don't want them to feel left out, but still they're not my mother/father.Advice when spouse refuses to deal with family, both sides?
Quit enabling this man. Tell him you are know longer


his secretary and that includes talking to his family for


him. Tell him you are tired of his behavior toward his family


and you will no longer deal with it. Either he works out his issues or you will let his family continue in silence and tell


them if they want to speak to their son they have to work it


out with him themselves. Take a stand and don't back down.


Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment