Friday, January 15, 2010

Does anyone else have a spouse who gives too much advice? What to do?

I feel as though I need some advice. Though I feel I do my best, I feel like my husband is constantly correcting me. From where I set a glass when on the computer, how I cook, where I put the garage door remote in my car, what time of day I prune the roses, etc. Though he most often does have good advice, at times I feel overwhelmed with corrections. I typically follow through with his advice, because it is often good advice. But I also feel like I am a failure of sorts because he gives it so much. I have talked about this with him and he assures me this is not how he sees me. How do I handle this situation? Why does he continue if he knows it bothers me? I really don't think he means any harm, he's not a hateful person.Does anyone else have a spouse who gives too much advice? What to do?
He continues because he doesn't think it bothers you, otherwise I would hope he wouldn't do it.





Tell him, straight up... it BOTHERS YOU... then maybe he'll stop.Does anyone else have a spouse who gives too much advice? What to do?
If you think the advice he gives is good advice and take you it, then I don't see why it bothers you. If it's helpful info and he's not belittling you then you shouldn't feel like a failure.


If you don't want his advice so much, then tell him so. Then the next time he tells you what to do give him ';the look'; and say ';Thanks Dear, but I told you it bothers me that you always correct me. I'll do it my way.';
I found that when a woman holds on to that little part of herself that is independent and self assured, the other person doesnt push as much ';advice'; onto her and the woman won't feel guilty if she doesn't ';appease'; him. Once in a while it's good to tell him to shut the F up! I'm just kidding...in other words though. You have your peace of mind to decide whether you should take un-solicited advice or not, and it can come from any one.
maybe he had to be that way growing up. something in him feels like he has to. or it could have been from the beginning you liked his advice and then he liked the recognition so he keeps on trying to get recognition. maybe you should try to recognize him in other ways to get his mind off the other stuff. right when he tries to correct you tell him to stop- you like things your way just like he likes his things his way. maybe eventually he will back off alittle.
OMG! When you find the answer to that question please let me know!!! My man is the same way! It's so annoying!!! I often feel like a child next to him because he acts like he knows so much more than me about everything. I say just ignore him sometimes and do things your way. that's what I do because if I always listen to him I feel like I'm a robot and have no say in my own life. Good Luck! : )
It is just a little thing that is bugging you and becoming a big thing. Kind of like crunching on cereal early in the morning.





The way I figure is that is why God gave you two ears. Let it go in one and out the other.
Give him a dirty look or snap at him every time he does it. He will re phrase his questions in a hurry!
On one hand you are complaining, or the other hand you justify what he does. How can you do that - either you accept it and go with it, OR, you sit him down and FIRST - ASK him WHY he feels he needs to constantly be directing you - - you might have to tell him that whenever he does not keep his opinions to himself, and tells you how or what to do without you asking him, he IS directing you - - and you are NOT a little girl or a child, and you REALLY want to figure things out on your own. Tell him you know he means well, but it REALLY makes you feel like he thinks you have no brain. THEN, when he starts to do it (bad habits die hard) just put your finger up to your mouth and say ';SHHH....let me figure it out please';.
I think this might be a compulsion that some people have. My brother-in-law is that way with my sister. He is an otherwise terrific guy, but everything has to be ';just so.';





He was in denial about it too, just like your husband, so what she did was keep a small notebook handy for a week, and proceeded to surreptitiously keep a note every time he offered some ';advice.'; Then they had a ';talk,'; and he was astonished at how often he was doing this, and made a real effort to control it after wards. It's now kind of a ';couple's joke'; for them.





Anyway, hope you find some solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment