Friday, January 15, 2010

College Debt Advice--What should I do about undergrad and grad school debt for my spouse and I?

I have approximately $25,000 in debt from my undergraduate college in Federal loans. I just began a 3-year master's degree that will leave me with approximately $50,000 in additional debt. Both the undergraduate and graduate loans are being deferred until after graduation.





My wife-to-be has an identical debt portrait.





My expected starting salary upon graduation is $50,000 per year, as is her starting salary. My question: what are our best options so that we can afford to live!?!College Debt Advice--What should I do about undergrad and grad school debt for my spouse and I?
You need to live as cheaply as you can for the first couple of years and concentrate on paying the loans down quickly. Being students, you are skilled at living on hot dogs and boxed mac and cheese. Take one persons salary and pour it into the debts. Then after 1 year (assuming you haven't missed payments or been late) call and ask for them to be refinanced. This will lower the expected monthly payment. Then pour more money in for another year, and get refinanced again. Now your payment will be tiny, and will not interfere with you getting on to a successful wealthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment